Genetic testing is about the detailed study of the DNA of any person. It is all about the revelation of gene mutation and the change in the genetic makeup, which makes genetic testing essential in medical science today. In the case of early detection, the chances of finding the right cure are possible. In the case of chronic diseases like cancer, early diagnosis means more chances of fast recovery.
Hereditary factor in genetic testing:
Concerning the above, the probable inherited reasons can well be diagnosed in case of any chronic disease. At the same time, genetic testing can also check the probability of getting infected with any sickness due to any family member already having that particular disease. As per the research done by National Cancer Institute, there are more than 50 syndromes of hereditary cancer, for which genetic testing is available.
Genetic testing – pure personal decision:
As far as going for genetic testing to find out the presence of any hereditary diseases is concerned, it is a purely personal decision if anyone intends to go for the testing or not? It can, of course, have far-off implications and consequences as well. Before going for genetic testing to diagnose hereditary diseases, you need to know your family medical history, identify the risks involved in testing, understand the benefits and the limitations concerning testing. You can also consult physicians or medical geneticists, or genetic counselors to see how you have to respond to the test results and learn from the results.
The reaction shown by every patient is different. Some patients do not show any signs of change in their lives as a result of the testing. Medical science believes that if you are not going to learn anything from the results of your genetic testing, then it’s better not to go for the genetic testing at all. Because if the results remain the same and you will not learn anything from the findings of the products, then the true objective of getting genetic testing done is lost.
- It can well prepare you for making an accurate decision in the light of medical sciences
- It can provide you with insight on your health in the future, thus less uncertainty
- In case of any diagnosis, you can consult the family issue and help other family members ensure their family history genetics.
Why is it not so helpful?
- Yes, it can be stressful for the entire family, especially in the case of a diagnosis of any hereditary disease.
- In case of negative results, you do not risk aversive. You can still get the disease at some point in time.
- At the same time, in case of positive results, it is not essential that you will discover the disease; similarly, not always medical doctor predict the future course of action based on a positive result
- If the results are neither positive nor negative, you cant extract any helpful information.
Thus, there are indeed some benefits and risks involved in getting genetic testing for hereditary diseases. However, it is purely your personal decision if you intend to go for it and how you will use the results.